Please Help- Would love some feedback & Support

Please Help- Would love some feedback & Support

Postby Peekay » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:39 pm

Hi all!

I am so grateful to have stumbled across this website this week– not happy with the situation I'm in but thankful to have all this information and support at my fingertips :H

I am 36 years young, TTC baby #2 for 3 months and here is my story:

I did have a natural miscarriage my very first pregnancy at 5.5 weeks in 2007

I got pregnant again in 2008 and we were blessed with a beautiful, healthy pregnancy and boy E> Was under the full care of several midwives and the ONLY ultrasound I ever had with him was around 4/5 months to check the gender. I never had a dating u/s with my first. Please note that midwives informed me that I had an anteverted uterus (this was the first time I learned I had that!).

Fast-forward to 2017, had my Copper IUD removed in late February of 2017.

LMP was May 1st, but please note that my periods had become irregular soon after the IUD removal. They were no longer heavy and became 35 days apart. I also know that I was ovulating very late.

I have noted in my diary that I was possibly ovulating around may 20th due to egg white texture of my cm (cervical mucus).

First positive home pregnancy test was a very, very faint line on June 8th (I found out that this particular test can detect HCG 7-10 after conception). I've taken a total of 7 HPT's within a span of almost a month (from 6/8 - 7/6) and with each test the line got darker and faster– so I knew my hormones were increasing and had no doubt I was pregnant.

While I plan on being under the care of a midwife again and having a hospital water birth, the new protocol at Women's Health is to have your first prenatal visit with a doctor or nurse which includes a vaginal dating u/s. Mind you, I never had this with my son.

My first prenatal appointment was this past Wednesday, July 5th with a nurse. Given the date of my LMP they said I was 9 weeks and 2 days along. Everything was going great until it was time for the u/s. Within 30 seconds of inserting the wand the first words out of her mouth were, "Oh honey, this does not look like a good pregnancy" She did some quick measurements and kept saying, "I'm so sorry". The whole thing lasted maybe– maybe 5 minutes with the wand inside me. There was no mention of my tilted uterus, no mention of the fact that maybe I just wasn't that far along. All I could see on the screen was an empty black hole (sack). She said it measures about 5.5 weeks and that she really hopes I'm not as far along as we thought– but she didn't seem convinced of that.

She ordered blood work to check my HCG levels for 7/5 and 7/7. She said as long as the levels double within 48 hours we should be in the clear.

I was devastated, an emotional wreck. While I went into that appointment knowing that I would possibly be told I wasn't as far along as we thought (since I know I ovulate late), she just didn't seem hopeful and she just kept saying sorry and that it wasn't anything I did. She ordered the blood work along with a thyroid panel to check my TSH and to check for diabetes.

Here are the results of the blood work:

7/5 HCG: 22,715 mlU/mL (she said this is indicative of an early pregnancy but should double within 48 hours)
7/5 TSH: 2.74 ulU/mL (high)
7/5 Glycohemoglobin A1C: value 5.0% (normal)
7/7 HCG: 24,930 mlU/mL

As you can imagine we were devastated that my HCG levels didn't double as expected. There was only a 9% increase in 48 hours. Additionally, she said my TSH was higher than they'd like to see in pregnancy (they like to see a TSH below 2.5) so I was prescribed a daily low dose of 25mcg of Levothyroxine.

She called me Friday, 7/7 to discuss my options:

1. Wait to miscarry naturally, though she said my body should have already done so,
2. Take Cytotec to force a miscarriage, or
3. Schedule a D&C

She did say to take the weekend to let it all sink in and call back Monday to schedule a f/u appointment with a doctor for another u/s.

What do you all think?? :sos I still feel pregnant, though ever since Wednesday's first prenatal appointment I am doubting myself. I am still hungry all the time. However, the nurse did say that with a missed miscarriage, I will still have pregnancy symptoms. I can't help but wonder how different this appointment would have gone would I have just seen the original midwives I had with my 2008 pregnancy. They specifically told me they don't believe in early u/s and only do ONE at 4/5 months. I don't think I even got to hear my son's heart beat via the doppler until over 12 weeks!

I'd love to hear your perspective on my case and I truly appreciate everyone for this website and for your time. God Bless :H

Best,
Peekay
Peekay
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Please Help- Would love some feedback & Support

Postby Peekay » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:13 pm

Just an update, I spent all weekend praying that this pregnancy is viable but with the hard understanding that if it's not– it just wasn't meant to be this time around. I called Women's Health just now and requested for my OBGYN to order a vaginal and abdominal u/s from an actual u/s tech. I'm hoping she will do that and hopefully this week I will be going in for that. I will keep everyone posted.

Anyone?? I'm so desperate for a reply, please! How do my HCG numbers look to you? What about the dates? I just really need something...please.
Peekay
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Peekay » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:53 am

I'm case anyone happens to be following, I have an ultrasound appointment scheduled with an u/s tech for this coming Saturday! Please keep me and my little bean in your prayers!!
Peekay
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Peekay » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:29 am

I'm getting a little disappointed with the lack of feedback some of us are getting :/ I know this forum is for informational purposes only and I know we all live busy lives- but we come here for support and to gain different perspective/s. I've read as many stories I could find that sound similar to the position I'm in now, I've replied to other ladies posts with whatever help but mostly just kind, gentle words of encouragement. This is a really tough time for anyone going through a miscarriage scare and I, like many of us, came here in search of some support. I still very much appreciate the knowledge I gained from the information in this website, and Kay, you have done a wonderful job in getting the word out! Much love to you for that.

On another note, I'm wondering if I should reschedule my follow up ultrasound for two weeks rather than this Saturday? That way it will give my little bean time to grow and come out from hiding? I'm dreading another disappointing ultrasound but something tells me everything is ok.
Peekay
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:58 pm

I sent you an email and replied to your last post. I've had a cold. Unfortunately, women don't really stick around after they figure out whether they are having a miscarriage or not and, often times, women who are waiting, are in a difficult place and following other stories is hard. I've thought about making this forum read only because one person keeping up with all the posts/emails/messages is hard. I should make a disclaimer near the top about all of this. Google Ads help but I end up spending my own money keeping this forum running. It's not a money maker.

Huge (((hug))) to you. I know it is hard.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby Peekay » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:51 pm

I started spotting and lightly bleeding into the toilet last night. I be worn a pad all night thinking for sure I'd start bleeding heavily but there is hardly but a smudge on the pad. The only time some blood drips is when I use the restroom and when I wipe. I guess I'm starting to miscarry? Though this isn't how my first miscarriage went, the first one was heavy and obvious and painful. I've had mild cramping but nothing out of the ordinary. I think it would be a good idea to see my doctor, have her check if my cervix is open or closed, and do an u/s. I'm sure I'm miscarrying at this point but I just want to be sure all is going as it's supposed to.

I understand, Kay, and thank you. I'm sorry I was getting impatient but I see how some posts get so many replies and other don't. This is tough for everyone going through this. Hope you feel better. Thank you.
Peekay
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:36 pm

I am much better. Thank you!

Spotting can mean an impending miscarriage but many women spot and bleed during viable pregnancies (myself included). I think another check is a good idea. Huge hugs for you!
my blighted ovum scare

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby Peekay » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:57 pm

Just a quick update:

Unfortunately, I don't have a happy ending other than that I am healthy. I started bleeding quite heavily Friday, soaking up an overnight 10hour pad every 45 minutes and passing the hugest blood clots. Was advised by an on-call nurse to go to the ER. The ER staff were wonderful but not the OBGYN. The OBGYN wanted to perform the Suction and Curretage in the ER room I was in. Thankfully, my nurse, sent from Heaven, advocated for me and said the ER is not the appropriate the place for a D&C. My life was not in danger and I could wait the hour or two for the surgery crew to set up- my nurse said a D&C is better suited for the surgery center where it is a clean, sterile environment. The OBGYN was annoyed and commented that she would now have to call and gather a group of 5 people for a 1-2 minute procedure. Oh well!!

Lesson here ladies, speak up for yourself! If your D&C can wait and you are not in any imminent danger, demand your surgery be done in the surgery center where it belongs.

Hugs and kisses to all!
Peekay
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:08 pm

I am so very sorry. (((hugs))) to you. I am so glad you had somebody helping fight your battle. I agree with that nurse!

(((Hugs))) again.
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Possible Miscarriage - HCG Related Issues