9 weeks - blighted ovum. Is there any hope?

9 weeks - blighted ovum. Is there any hope?

Postby lindsayy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:14 pm

I'm experiencing a blighted ovum right now, but decided to wait for it to happen naturally just in case based on stories I've read on this website (thank you!). I am praying for a miracle. I would love your opinion of my situation....so here are the facts!

I am positive of my dates because I was tracking my BBT and using ovulation strips.
Ovulated on 7/24/17 (could have been 7/25 at the latest). Started testing for pregnancy at 8 dpo, got a positive on 11 dpo (8/4/17).

Today I am 9 weeks 4 days, no sign of miscarriage, no bleeding or cramping.

Blood draws on 8/21 (7 wks) and 8/23 (7 wks 2 days) resulted in hcg levels of 16,000 and 25,000, respectively. So, not doubling, but certainly increasing. My doctor told me this wasn't a good sign, but it could turn out fine, so let's wait to see the ultrasound.

1st ultrasound on 9/1/17 at 7 weeks 4 days. Empty gestational sac, measuring 6 wks + some (can't remember how many days). We were crushed. The technician documented a yolk sac, but my doctor later said she thought that was optimistic, she wasn't sure that was a yolk sac.

2nd ultrasound on 9/5 at 8 weeks 1 day. Still empty gestational sac. Grew a few mm (I think she said it was 20 or 21mm). I was told the gestational sac was an odd shape - looked like a crescent, or a smile, which was a bad sign. Had another blood draw, resulting in hcg levels of 13,000 so it decreased... Oh but wait... they called me back a few hours later, missed a 0....it was 130,000! So it was quite a jump from 25,000.

3rd ultrasound on 9/12 at 9 weeks 1 day. Still empty gestational sac, but it grew a few days worth. This time the sac was a completely different shape, not a crescent. My doctor still didn't seem happy about the shape though, it was a slightly tear-drop shape. I didn't get the exact measurement from her (I wish I had!!), but I think I remember seeing 7 weeks 6 days on the ultrasound screen, which I believe is juuuust under 25mm (??).
For both ultrasound #2 and #3, my doctor saw "something" in the corner (like a dot), which is what the 1st ultrasound technician said was a yolk sac. But my doctor wasn't calling it a yolk sac.

I realize I am getting to the point of no hope, but a piece of me still has hope, since my hcg has gotten so high, and the sac is continuing to grow, however it is behind what it should be for 9 weeks.

What do you think - do I still have any hope? When do most people pass a BO naturally?
I go for another ultrasound on 9/26 (I'd be 11 weeks 1 day).

This will be my second miscarriage in a row - I had a natural miscarriage on May 1st, 2017 (I was 9 weeks 4 days). Embyro was visible on ultrasound measuring at 7 weeks.

Thank you!!
lindsayy
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: 9 weeks - blighted ovum. Is there any hope?

Postby Kay » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:02 pm

(((hugs))) to you! I am so sorry you are going through this. If there are no complications, you should have your answer at that next ultrasound although, realistically, an ultrasound one week from the last one should do it. If this ends up being a blighted ovum and you do not miscarry, often a D&C is needed after 10 weeks. (((hugs))) to you and please keep us updated. Praying for you!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby lindsayy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:16 am

Thanks. Why is a D&C needed after 10 weeks? Will it not happen naturally?
lindsayy
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:01 pm

It does seem as if many bodies after 10 weeks or so just have a difficult time with the miscarriage process and their is an increased risk of infection. Talk to your doctor. (((hugs)))
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby lindsayy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:31 pm

ok, thanks for the information. I called my doctor and she said my gestational sac measured 27mm at my last ultrasound, so I believe I am out of the game :( Now I'm just waiting....still no sign of the miscarriage though, so I may take the medicine after my next ultrasound :(
lindsayy
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Possible Miscarriage - Blighted Ovum